I have had cellulite for as long as I can remember. Even when I was younger I always had a solid lower body, which seemed to be dotted with cellulite. After I had my son 2 and half years ago, I really started to notice the cellulite around my butt and thighs, and my inability to be able to make it budge. So I found myself scrolling the web to look for any remedies that could help with mg quest to abolish the cellulite. This is what I found…
What is it?
Cellulite is the formation of lumps and bumps under the skin. It can also be referred to as cottage cheese and orange peel skin and is commonly found on the hips, thighs and butt. Cellulite forms when fat deposits push through the connective tissue beneath the skin, leaving the skin looking bumpy. Although most common in women (up to 90% of women get cellulite), men can also find themselves suffering from cellulite.
- You must be overweight to have cellulite: Myth! Cellulite does not mean you are overweight, in fact many fit, healthy people can get cellulite.
- Liposuction can remove cellulite: Myth! Liposuction can remove fat from your body but it cannot remove the cellulite.
- Cardio can remove cellulite: Myth! Yes a healthy lifestyle does reduce the effects of cellulite, but doing endless amounts of cardio will not remove it.
- Cellulite can be fixed with firming creams: Myth! There is simply no scientific evidence to support that any cream will make a difference.
- Leading a healthy lifestyle can reduce cellulite: Fact! Whilst leaving a healthy lifestyle will not eliminate cellulite for good, it certainly does help. Maintaining a low overall body fat percentage will help keep the cellulite at bay.
- Resistance training can make a difference: Fact! Cellulite forms when the connective fibres under the skin become weak. By completing a resistance program, you are firming and strengthening those areas to minimise the effects of cellulite.
- Laser treatments can make a difference: Fact! Laser treatments, although not permanent, can make short term differences in the appearance of cellulite. Although be aware, treatments can be expensive, require 10-15 treatments to see results and the effects may only last a few months. Although I must add, that whilst most people have a positive experience, I tried 10 laser sessions, coupled with exercise and saw no results. So just be wary, you may not get the results you want.
- You are more likely to get cellulite if it runs in the family: Fact! Some heredity traits such as poor circulation, sensitivity to hormones and weakness in the body tissue can be associated with the development of cellulite.
So I guess the best thing we can do, as always, is to lead a healthy lifestyle. Eat a healthy and nutritious diet, exercise regularly, incorporate resistance training and most importantly, learn self-love and to love your imperfections!